Pages

Monday, August 1, 2016

The Shining by Stephen King



The fact that I was able to complete this book in the midst of my crazy schedule is truly an achievement for me. This was my first horror novel. I honestly refrain from reading anything that’s too negative or anything that triggers negative emotions like fear or anxiety. But still I had heard so much about this book and about the movie based on this book that I decided to read it. And yes I mean obviously I didn’t regret it a bit. It’s a fantastic story narrated by Stephen King in the most striking manner. I totally understand why he is considered as a genius. This book is not just a horror story but it is rather about ‘dysfunctional’ behavior. How suffocating it is for a child when he is a part of a dysfunctional family with an insensitive father and a helpless mother! Add a dash of a secluded haunted hotel to it and you get yourself an engaging plot. I wasn’t scared by the book to be honest (not how much I expected to be). There are some scary moments though. But again that’s what I liked about this book. A good horror book is not just supposed to shit scared you it is also supposed to deliver convincing story and characters. And The Shining does exactly that. There are so many things that remained unexplained though like ‘who was tony?’ or ‘what was in the attic?’. Anyways. Those things might be explained in the sequels I guess. Well, what this book didn’t change is that it hasn't made me a fan of horror fiction. I prefer reading books with morals and not just books which add-on to our anxieties and fears. So, I am glad I pushed my boundaries here and did managed to read and finish this book. However, I won’t be reading its sequels or any other horror books anytime soon. Thanks. Love. Please comment and tell me what do you think about this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment