Pages

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Emma by Jane Austen



Perhaps before I tell you how I felt after reading this book you should read Lora’s review here.


How I felt after reading Emma? I can’t put into words. Really I can’t. I am not yet so wise like Jane to put all my feelings and turmoils and expressions so beautifully into words. Just to summarise however I would say that Emma is the most flawless, most beautiful and most mesmerizing book I have ever read. It would be unfair to call it just a romance novel because there is so much of social commentary otherwise which Jane manages to integrate with her romance plot that you are struck with her intelligence and her deeper understanding of the society and its flaws. To speak about Emma, Emma is the obsessive, adamant, rich young girl who is blind to others feelings and often selfish in her behavior. These qualities don’t make her a bad person however, they just make her more REAL and depicts her lack of experience due to her young age. Emma allows us to reflect on our behavior and so when the book ends you are more determined and more enlightened about what kind of human being you ought to be and what is it that you should expect from yourself and from others around you (like your friends and especially your soul mate). And I am not just speaking about Emma’s character but everyone including Mr. Knightley or Miss Bates or Mrs. Weston are all the ideal characters which we have so much to learn from. Mr. Knightley is undoubtedly and unarguably the most perfect and ideal romance hero of all times.

I personally feel that classics like this shouldn’t be adopted into movies but should be read and enjoyed and worshipped. You cannot do a judgement to a book by making a movie out of it. This book is a piece of an ART I would say. The language, the characters, the flow of story everything bounds together to form a piece of this classic masterpiece. Read this book to know Jane, her thoughts and intelligence. Read this to know Emma and most importantly read this for the most gorgeous or in Emma’s words the most ‘superior’ and ‘far superior than any other man’ Mr. Knightley.

There have been lot of adaptions of Emma into television series and movies. Here is one such trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment